Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Office

I want to preface this blog entry by saying I am in no way complaining about my current worksite...merely seeing the humorous side of things...as I often try to do. Ok, do me a favor....close your eyes.... ok now picture the set from  Mad Men. Ok, now take away every cool aspect of that set and that's my office cube.  Using this generic cubicle as a base...imagine that the cubicle walls are a deep shade of 70's maroon, well 2 of them are, the other 2 are two different shades/tones of wood paneling. The desk top is a greenish/blue marble pattern and the carpet is/was tan but has now been waterstained beyond recognition due to the rain that comes in through the double doors directly in front of my computer. These are the saving grace of my cubicle. They let in TONS of sunlight, and most days, after 2pm I become that loser that . Well not actually but I've thought about it. My office manager was kind enough to get a tint to put on the door but it was applied so poorly that it resembles the tint you may see today on a 1991 Ford Probe.. All this combined with the lady in the cube next to me that talks SO LOUD on her phone that regardless of where the person on the other line is, they could just hang up and still hear her...save your minutes playa...and I still love my office. This may have something a lot to do with the fact that a mere 18 months ago I was on my 3rd year of sharing a mini fridge with 35 people and a "desk" that was literally a stockroom shelf lowered to desk height...ugh don't miss those days!The way I see, I just tell people that I've got a corner office with double windows...and I'm not lying! Now that we've gotten a chance to picture the astetic of my office, lets talk about the program that starts filming here next Monday. I started in this office in November...so needless to say, other than the suprisingly active to have such a sedintary body type woman that I have a direct view into her life thanks to my double doors, there wasn't much activity during the winter months. However as soon as the temps began to rise our first exhibit opened.Termites!! The way they were tearing up my wood paneling you would've thought they were at (she's at golden corral). Thankfully they were quickly taken care of by Bill the Bug guy...that's how he introduced himself. At this point I didn't think anything about termites, I mean this building ( a former morgue) was built in the early 1880's so that's to be expected. However, when I started to hear baby birds in the above my doors, I realized I was in Dr. Doolittle 3...or is it 4? Better yet...no one cares. When we contacted the building mangaer (this is not the only part of the building with birds in the signs/walls/cieling/etc. His response "I'm only worried about em if they's bats". Really? (Don't read this)
Just because I'm  not going to get rabies or turn into  doesn't mean I'm not at risk. So now that we are close to completeing the circle of life (termites eaten by birds eaten by...SNAKES). Yep, I stepped out of my door to talk on the phone and saw a ball of snakes  directly outside my door, literally less than 10 feet from where I sit. Well I bring everyone out to look, and it's determined that they are harmless...but I don't care. We call ...may or may not be his name, I didn't catch it, and he laid out a "sticky pad" and lured the snakes out with cinammon oil??? Never heard of that. Well, it worked. I went outside 5 minutes after he left and saw (actual photo) there are 4 in the pic, he caught a total of 8, and some got away b/c they simply slithered over their unfortunate buddies that were trapped. He said he sealed up the hole so any that were left can't get out...but all I can imagine is that they are now under the building and will soon be falling from the  that is DIRECTLY above my head. If and when that happens...if I survive  I may be asking for a transfer. I mean, I did want to be a Zoo Keeper when I was 7 but this is crazy.

2 comments:

  1. You're so funny...heads up seven up. How did you think of that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just one of my many talents : )

    ReplyDelete